Galette’s are a wonderful way to enjoy local and in season flavours. They are versatile and look absolutely beautiful for your holiday entertaining. For a vegan option, sub-stitute, vegan butter and vegan cheese or omit the cheese completely.
Prep & Cook Time 1.5 hours + dough chilling time
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1 leek, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cup (5.3 oz) shiitake mushroom with stem, sliced
2 cup (5.3 oz) cremini mushroom with stem, sliced
1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme leaves
130 g goat cheese, softened
1 tbsp (15 mL) honey
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) fresh ground pepper
1 3/4 (425 mL) cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
10 tbsp (150 mL) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
1/4 cup (60 mL) + 3 tbsp (45 mL) ice water
1 tsp (5 mL) apple cider vinegar
1 large egg and 1 tbsp (15 mL) water beaten for egg wash 2 tsp (10 mL) black and white sesame seeds
1. To make the dough, pulse all-purpose flour and salt in a food processor to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining.
2. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; drizzle with vinegar and ¼ cup ice water. Mix with a fork, adding more ice water by the tablespoonful if needed, just until a dough comes together; lightly knead until no dry spots remain (do not overwork). Pat into a disk and wrap in plastic. Chill at least 2 hours.
3. To make the filling, in a small sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until soft and translucent.
4. Increase heat to medium-high and add mushrooms. Sauce for 1- 2 minutes until mushrooms are slightly soft and brown. Remove from heat, stir in thyme and salt and pepper.
5. Place goat cheese in a medium bowl, add honey and mix until well blended.
6. Preheat oven to 375F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. Roll out dough on the lightly floured surface to a 12 inch round and carefully place on lined baking sheet.
8. Spread goat cheese mixture evenly on dough, leaving about an inch of space around.
9. Line the top of the goat cheese with the mushroom mixture.
10. Fold in the sides just enough to meet up with the mushrooms to make a frame around them.
11. Brush the frame of the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top of egg wash around the pastry frame.
12. Place in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 35-45 minutes until crust is golden. Let cool for 5 minutes prior to cutting.